Story Time stories

 I think it is great that you guys are interested and supportive of organizations like Bottom Line.

Having had my oldest grand child just graduate from Middlebury this spring, three more presently in college and two more in the pipeline I've thought a lot about how unquestioned going to college has been for them.  The question has never been "IF", it has been only been "WHERE".   And the environment they grew up in was totally supportive of learning and  intellectual curiosity.  When we first became grandparents Marianne cleared of the lower shelf of the bookcase in our kitchen/living space so that the grandchildren would have their own shelf for their own books.   I can still remember how Sophie, before she could even talk,  would toddle over to the shelf and pick out the book she wanted us to read to her.

One of my favorite things about being a grandparent has been reading to/with my grandchildren.  It is not just the bond of sharing the adventures in the books, it is also the physical closeness and touch.

Some of my sculptures, like "Story Time" deal with this:

          

For the show I am having this summer down in Gloucester, Virginia I am enlarging this piece to life size.

From a scan my foundry in Thailand milled it in  high density Styrofoam.    I am working with that now.












     A lot of heads roll in the process.


Enjoying a good book in the Wild Island Sculpture Garden 



I can only imagine how hard it must be for kids who grow up in an apartment where the TV is on all day, there are no books, and no intellectual discussion.   They deserve all the help they can get.

It is easy to forget how privileged  the lives we lead are.   


Jay



No comments:

Sculpture Garden Party this Saturday, August 12, 4-7pm All are Welcome.

 I am having an open studio at my sculpture garden on Saturday August 12 from 4 to 7. The address is 18 Wequobsque Road in Chilmark. Turn l...