new sculptures

I've started working on several versions of "The Fisherman".  I think I have enough stainless steel to make a large one like the one that I had in the Academy Art Museum show.  It sold and is now living down in Easton so I haven't had here in my sculpture garden.  I miss it.


I first made a small version using aluminum armature wire which is very flexible and easy to change.  When I got that to work for me I used that to get the angles and positions of the pieces of black iron pipe I am using to build a full sized model.  I am getting the sizes of the pieces (feet, calves, thighs, torso, etc... from the stainless steel Swinging Jenny that we built this summer.




     The maquette fell when I was setting up this shot  so it looks a bit weird, but no reason to fix it right away since I've got the shape worked out on the black pipe version.  Working on the head this morning.


    This is a 3800 year old sculpture that was recently found in Isreal.  


As they say it makes one think of "The Thinker" by Rodin.



It also made me think that the basic pose might be a good one for a mermaid.  

It would be nice to make an iconic one like the one in Denmark.




Interesting how this mermaid has almost no fish tail.  I never noticed that before.  Maybe that's why we tend to like it so much.   I guess we don't like our mermaids too fishy!


No comments:

Sculpture Garden Party this Saturday, August 12, 4-7pm All are Welcome.

 I am having an open studio at my sculpture garden on Saturday August 12 from 4 to 7. The address is 18 Wequobsque Road in Chilmark. Turn l...