Bangkok SkyTrain shut down "Joy" helps me out to catch a bus back to my hotel.


Earlier I wrote:

I've checked into my hotel and now I'm having a cafe latte. The work at the foundry is coming along quite well. I keep having problems, but since there is nothing else to do but work I can't just walk away and find something more fun to do. So I just keep working and things eventually work out.
The wax sketches that I brought with me are all done except for patinas. I certainly wouldn't say they are great works of art, but I like them and think they are fun.

The Obama "Family" sculpture should be about ready to put together when I get back to the foundry on Friday. The one change I know I want to make is on the Mom: her hips are too big. Samboon thinks it won't be a problem. Those guys really know how to work with bronze.

The Deer Park which I've made in plaster is pretty much done. I just need to get some distance from it so I can see it with a fresh eye. I am leaving the rasp and tool marks in it. I think they give it an interesting texture, but a cool thing about making multiples is that I can have the wax ladies make a smooth version too. I'm planning to do the reverse with the Family, which is smooth. After they make a mold I plan to play with some of the waxes and give them some texture and see how that works out.

The Breaching Whale has been a challenge for me. It seems like each time I reach a certain stage the sculpture starts talking to me and want to be changed. The changes, like the twist so that he'll land on his back, make it more interesting, but they have also led to things breaking. Who said this was easy?

I heard that there were a bunch of Right Whales around the Vineyard. Did anyone see them?

Time for a shower and then off to a free dinner. Last week I went to a place I had liked when I was here years ago, but had a mediocre dinner. So I sent them an email and was thanked for my feedback and invited back to have one on the house. Sometimes it pays to complain

PS. The dinner was excellent. I had the "Thai Set Dinner". Best Thai food I have had on this trip. It was the Greenhouse Restaurant in the Landmark on Sukumvit.

After dinner when I tried to catch the SkyTrain back to my hotel it had been closed for fear of terrorism by the Red Shirts. That is when Joy found me and helped me out. The kindness of strangers is a wonderful thing.

No comments:

Sculpture Garden Party this Saturday, August 12, 4-7pm All are Welcome.

 I am having an open studio at my sculpture garden on Saturday August 12 from 4 to 7. The address is 18 Wequobsque Road in Chilmark. Turn l...