Playing around


I have the feeling that if I keep making these things then they will start to become something that talks back to me. If I make a whole bunch then I probably get some that I really like as well as a lot that just don't work out and aren't worth trying to fix.

The way I make this type of figure is by putting sculptor's wax over copper wire. The wax is pretty hard and stable at room temperature, but you can work it with your hands and fingers or otherwise soften it by warming it, using a hair dryer or whatever. So you can leave it and come back to it later if necessary. It doesn't create a mess like working with clay or plaster, and doesn't smell bad like modelling clay. Then the best part is that when you get it where you think you want it, the piece can be directly made into cast bronze without messing with the whole mold making and creating the wax copy. Then the bronze version can be worked until it works as a bronze. Then a mold can be made of the bronze which is just the way you want it as a bronze.

No comments:

Sculpture Garden Party this Saturday, August 12, 4-7pm All are Welcome.

 I am having an open studio at my sculpture garden on Saturday August 12 from 4 to 7. The address is 18 Wequobsque Road in Chilmark. Turn l...